entry project

almost two years in this house. two full years. this blows my mind. i know it’s just walls and a roof and not even technically our first house.. but its the house that we brought our baby home to and really became a family.. the kid, the dog, we are totally grown-ups.
so the house.. its a big deal to me. it definitely feels like home, but it somehow still feels new and still feels like we haven’t completely settled in quite yet. over the past few weeks, we tackled one major project that was another huge step toward making the house feel like ours. because once this was complete, we had officially painted every. single. wall. in this house. every bathroom, every hallway, and come to think of it, the majority of the baseboards and ceilings too.

these are the walls that remained untouched. its a w h o l e lotta wall. this picture is from zillow two years ago. the photos of our house that were on zillow and all the other real estate listings are not representative of what the house looked like when it was actually for sale. we are pretty sure they used photos from years ago when the previous owners first tried to sell the house. this picture looks nice, but these walls were dirty. crayon marks, holes, dirty, dirty walls. but you can see why it took us so long to paint it all.

the money. the height. the decision. 

its a big commitment choosing a color to cover this massive area – the first thing you see when you walk in and the whole upstairs hallway. i couldn’t bring myself to paint it all a white or neutral. i couldn’t do anymore grey. i couldn’t commit to going bold on all this wall either. so these photos below are where i landed. the white with molding below and a different color up top. it would break up all the wall and i could have some fun with the color.

houzz

houzz
so this (below) is us for a couple weeks. painters tape everywhere. we moved these lines around a million times. at first we thought we’d copy the picture above with the two horizontal boards along the top. this is also when we were still entertaining the idea of diy-ing. less molding felt more doable. but the more we played around with it, the more we were convinced we liked the squares best. especially on the big wall going down the stairs.
the tape method was so helpful and gave us the confidence to move forward with this. i am happy to report that, in the end, we decided this was a ddiy project (don’t do it yourself). especially with the holidays and everything else on our plates. but thanks to our neighbor and his friend, we got a very quality job, at a very good price, and more importantly, 2 guys we could trust would do good work and that we enjoyed working with (because even after the work started, there were still so many decisions to make and so manny details to sort out).

so they got started. on the top: wolf grey (benjamin moore). more bluey than grey.

white dove (benjamin moore) on the bottom.

below is a “before” looking up the stairs (you can see the molding lines penciled in). a world of improvement.

next post i’ll have the finished product along with more detail on the process and all of the before and afters.